Friday, June 24, 2011

The Best Quotes from the Wimbledon Press Room





Bethanie Mattek-Sands on the outfit for her first round match, designed by Alex Noble, who also designs for pop star Lady Gaga
I actually haven't even thought about it. I don't know. I'll have to ask Alex Noble if he wants to do something with it. It was actually very cool working with him, hopefully I'll be able to do it again. It was felt. It was actually almost tennis ball material. It was pretty sweet actually.


Kimiko Date-Krumm on Venus Williams
She's a great player. She's very clever, she smart. For example, when she toss up the serve, then she always watching where I move to, backhand or forehand. She just toss up, and then she watching where I'm standing, the return positions, I think.

Venus Williams on Kimiko Date-Krumm
Yeah, she runs down every ball. She hits every ball basically on the baseline, hard and flat. If you get it anywhere near the mid court, she hits for the corners and comes to the net. I thought she played unbelievable today. I thought she had some luck on her side, too, with net cords, balls hitting lines. I just thought today was a perfect storm for her to try to get a win.Thankfully I had some answers

Venus Williams, when asked who the best looking male player in Wimbledon history was
Usually I've never liked any of my colleagues. I try to keep it professional, hence no tennis relationships. So it's probably for the best for me to stay out of this. I usually like winners, though (smiling). So anyone winning is pretty cute to me.

Rafael Nadal, when asked if he was in decline
Maybe. But I won Roland Garros two weeks ago. I don't forget (smiling). Maybe you or the website yes. After winning Roland Garros, two weeks later is a little bit fast to say I am. You can say that maybe next year, but probably now is a little bit dangerous to say that. But, no, you know, is my seventh year without be out of the top two. Is a lot of years. Probably I started to be decline, but hopefully not. Maybe they are right. I don't know.

Laura Robson, on her recent growth spurt
Yeah, I'm really tall now. You know, I've grown a lot in the last few months. Not anything I've got any control over. Just have to accept the problems that come with it. I'm pretty happy with my height now. Fingers crossed I don't keep growing.




Andy Roddick, on John McEnroe's suggestion that warm-ups aren't necessary
Today I sat around for four and a half hours because the matches went long. I looked at Date and Venus and Rafa and Ryan. There were potentials for those matches to go no disrespect to anybody for those matches to go fast. All of a sudden I've been sitting around for four and a half hours, and he wants me to go serve 145. That's irresponsible is what it is.

Serena Williams, on her tears following her first round win
It definitely hit me at the end of the match. I'm not a cryer, so I don't know. I think it was something in my eyes at one point, but... It definitely was so emotional for me because, you know, throughout the last 12 months, I've been through, you know, a lot of things that's not normal, things you guys don't even know about. So it's just been a long, arduous road. To stand up still is pretty awesome.

Andy Roddick, on friend Serena Williams and her competitive spirit
Well, I think one thing we've never really questioned with Serena is her competitive spirit. I think especially when she gets out there, I think she just hates losing. You know, I don't count her out of any situation. I don't think it surprised anybody in this room if she went on and won this tournament. I don't know how many people you can say that about after a year. And a lot of that she's proven she can even not play well early and then almost play her way into shape. You know, she goes from spring training to mid season in like three days. You can insert whatever superlative you want. She's a fighter. She always has been since I've known her. Since she was eight years old, she's been that way.

Andy Roddick, on the pressures that Andy Murray faces at Wimbledon
Sure. You know, I've been front and center as far as tennis in my own country for a long time. I don't think it compares to what those guys go through here. I don't feel like I can relate. You know, he gets the full rundown of he practiced for 36 minutes, then he ate a Snickers bar and then continued for another 14 minutes, and then it's like and that's on page four. We already read the first three pages of the day. You know, it's a little tough (laughing).

Andy Roddick, when asked if he wouls stay to watch the John Isner – Nichaloas Mahut match
Stay? No. I have to play tomorrow. I can't stay here three nights.

Roger Federer, on staying relatively injury-free in his career
I think it has helped me with injuries, yes, that my game is somewhat casual, but in a good way, because I had to work on my casualness. I was very quickly pointed out that if I'm losing I'm not trying, and if I'm winning it's an amazing situation. So I had to really tie my game together, you know, make it solid casual, really. I think I was able to do that. I worked extremely hard on my fitness and on my mental part of the game. All those things eventually came together and I started to be able to glide around the court with little effort and be very explosive, though.

Novak Djokovic, when asked if he wishes that Caroline Wozniacki was interveiwing him instead
I wish. She's great. We have a lot of fun off court.



Venus Williams, on her much-criticized outfit
It's a jumper. Jumpers are very now, as is lace. The shoulders have a lot of draping, which is also in the moment. It's just kind of like a trendy dress. It's fun. I'm really into zippers, so it has like a focal point of a zipper in the front. It's just fun. The back is kind of I don't know what you call it, like a cutout or like a peek a boo. I'm always trying to do something different and fun. But more lately now I'm really trending towards simplicity. I'm not sure why. It's just how I feel right now. Everything is getting more simple.

Rafael Nadal, when asked who does he see as his toughest opponent from the top 4 players
So let's talk about today. Let's talk about tomorrow. Not let's talk about in 10 days or 12 days, because I don't know if I am here or I am fishing in Mallorca. You never know what's going on in a tournament like this.

Francesca Schiavone, on the rain delay early in the third set of her match against Jelena Dokic
For me it was fantastic because really I start the third set and I couldn't understand why she was playing so aggressive and I couldn't move her. So at the end I say, Something is not working. Of course, when they put the roof, I went back to the locker room and I spoke with Barazzutti. He say something to me, something that was really important. So I came back and I was playing better.

No comments:

Post a Comment